Friday, September 17, 2010

The Story Behind "Tell Me, Please"

9 September 2010 was the third anniversary of the death of a fallen hero. Through this project, I have had the opportunity of getting to know his Gold Star Mom and through her, him. Almost all that day (if not actually all day) I kept thinking, "I really want to write a poem for her.", but nothing would come except the never ending phrase, "Please, tell me about him." This is what always goes through my mind when I think of our fallen heroes because they are not numbers to me, they are real people and I want to know who they are.

That night, I left a comment on her facebook wall and then thought about what I could write in a poem. Again, the phrase mentioned above rang out. I finally gave up and decided I would just start typing and hopefully there would be a few things typed that would be worth keeping. I figured, I would type and go back to edit it accordingly. As far as I can remember, the only editing I ended up doing at the end was to add an extra space between each passage.

I later shared the poem with this Gold Star Mom and explained that she inspired it, but it was really for all Gold Star Moms.

No comments:

Post a Comment